Saturday, September 10, 2011

About emotions

I think they are all valuable but as has been correctly pointed out, they can be hazardous.

Emotions can both paralyze and motivate. They often cloud judgement.

Most important is they can be an important signal that should not be ignored.

You can define an animal as all emotion and no thought. We need to aspire to something more than animal.

I'm a person that literally sees red when angry. But even in that worst case I never lose my reason. I'm baffled that so many people seem to have no reason to begin with.

I was a big kid who for some reason got into a lot of fights (I never started one ever) in grade school. When forced to fight my main concern was not to hurt the guy. I always ended up on top. Like I said, I was a big kid. It was emotional. I cried.

Once I was in class and a kid came in to confront me at my desk at which I tried to ignore him. The teacher put down his chalk, bounced the kid out of the class, then returned to his chalk board. I can't help but laugh every time I remember it.

Anger is one of those emotions less appreciated. Most angry people are idiots to be sure, but anger is no more or less valuable than any other emotion. What signal does anger send us? It should help to teach us what to hate. We need to hate what is bad or we end up encouraging it.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. We need anger and hate in proper measure and focus. We need it to survive evil.

No comments: