Friday, February 15, 2013

I asked for it

I love watching the Babe Ruth's on the internet swing their cluebats and Trent is one of the best. As a true friend, this time he's swinging at me. Update: the big time.

He brings up many subjects, providing me an opportunity to respond to just this one post with a number of my own. Which I will do over the next few days.

What I like best about Trent's writing is that it often includes nuggets of genius and this post is no exception with: ...it doesn't fit into anyone's mental model of How People Live.

Which is why this blog exists. I've had a number of blogs before this, but I started this one after my own mental model was adjusted to realize mars colonization isn't something for the future:
  • It's doable now...
    •  Using technology already completed or soon to be.
    • The cost is high but the real return is much higher (Profits for everybody! from top to bottom.)
    • The colonists can go for free and arrive rich with few limits.
  • Human's are in desperate need of this mental model adjustment...
    • Because many, including the brightest, have a can't do attitude.
    • People think things come from stores.
    • Martians will have to adjust their mental attitude to survive, providing an example for the rest of humanity.
  • Human's need liberty and ownership to thrive where ever they are.
    • Every other colonization plan I've seen makes the crew slaves of some sort depending on earth to keep them alive. That's suicide.
    • It doesn't have to be. It shouldn't be. It requires a new mental model.
There are many issues to be resolved, but none of them are showstoppers. Not being prepared could kill people, but they can be prepared. We need can do.

Part Two, Part ThreePart Four, Part Five, Part Six.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do believe all of the ideas you've presented in your post. They're very convincing and will certainly work.

Nonetheless, the posts are too short for novices. May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time?
Thanks for the post.

Here is my web blog radiosender
my web site > spiele spielen kostenlos

ken_anthony said...

My blog is made up of many short posts that often need to be considered together.

I never claimed to be much of a writer, but perhaps I will collect, organize and present this material in some book form some day.